Sunday 27 October 2013

Review: Real Techniques Brushes

Over the past year I have ended up buying a lot of real techniques brushes. I am a big fan of Pixiwoo and when I found out about the brush range I bought a couple, and OMG I was so sucked in! Overall I've ended up buying 6 different individual brushes, the Duo-Fibre Set and the Starter Set so far... All of the brushes are synthetic, made from taklon bristles which means they are cruelty free. I have found that all of the brushes are very soft and wash up very well, no matter if you're using them with powder, cream or liquid products.




Firstly is the Powder Brush.(£12.99 From Boots) This brush is slightly over-sized and gives a great liberal application of any powder products, whether they are loose or compact it always gives great results. Personally I'd like it to be a tiny bit smaller but it's not a big issue & overall I love it!


Secondly is the Expert Face Brush(£9.99 From Boots) I absolutely love, love, LOVE this brush, so much so that I have two of them! It's versatile and can be used for buffing/stippling foundation, cream blush, cream contours, bronzers, anything! And its slightly tapered shape means that it can easily apply to small spaces such as around your nose and eyes. I personally use this brush for foundation most of the time, as the density makes buffing so easy and gives a great finish.


Next up is the Blush Brush.(£9.99 From Boots) I find this is great for blushes, bronzers and contours, the tapered shape of the brush means you only have to put the product right on the end of it, and brush does all of the blending out for you, amazing!


Next is the Stippling Brush.(£11.99 From Boots) To be brutally honest, I have a slight love-hate relationship with this brush, but I think it's because when I first got it I didn't really know what to use it for. This is good if you want a light-coverage finish with your foundation, I also use it for liquid bronzers and highlighters. (Also, when I first got this brush quite a big chunk of the bristles shed, but I'm guessing this was a one-off fault as none of my other brushes have done this, and after the initial shedding catastrophe no more bristles have fallen out!)


The last of the Face brushes is the Setting Brush.(£8.99 From Boots) This brush is great for precise application of powder highlighter, I have also used it for a one-colour sweep of eyeshadow on the eyelids.


Next up is the Limited Edition Duo-Fibre Set.(£23.99 From Boots) This contains a Face Brush, Contour Brush and an Eye Brush.


The Duo-Fibre Face Brush (Top) is great for light applications of powder, blushes and bronzers. Also, it gives you the choice to build up product gradually. The sparser bristles also make this brush great for blending out harsh lines in your bronzer, blush or contour.

I mainly use the Duo-Fibre Contour Brush (Middle) for applying cream contours, but it is also great for applying pigments as a highlighter, as it gives a really light application.

The Duo-Fibre Eye Brush (Bottom) is really good at blending out any eye makeup such as the crease, it is also really good for precise application of pigments.

The Starter Set (£21.99 From Boots) is a good eye brush set for beginners, giving you all of the tools you need to create nice eye makeup. It consists of a Deluxe Crease Brush, Base Shadow Brush, Brow Brush, Accent Brush and a Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush.


Firstly the Deluxe Crease Brush (Top) is a dense rounded brush (almost like a mini Expert Face Brush!) and I personally use it for stippling/buffing in concealer. The size of this brush means its perfect to fit under-eyes and cover blemishes.

Next is the Base Shadow Brush (2nd Brush Down), this is a flat fluffy tapered brush which is a great all rounder when applying eyeshadow. The shape means that it can be used for packing on eyeshadow, defining the crease and blending.

The Brow Brush (3rd Brush Down) is a stiff, angled brush that gives you great precision and easy application when you're using a powder product to fill in your brows.

The Accent Brush (4th Brush Down) is a really good multi-purpose brush. To be honest with you, when I first saw it I really didn't know what on earth I'd use it for but as time has gone on I've found a lot of uses for it... Blending out pencil eyeliner, precise application of concealer on blemishes, contouring small areas such as the nose, applying lipstick, detailed eyeshadow work and precise application of pigments.

Lastly in the set is the Pixel-Point Eyeliner Brush. I don't particularly like this brush for eyeliner, unless I'm aiming for a really thick line. However, this brush is good for precise application of pigment and I have found it very useful for more theatrical looks, such as fancy dress.

P.S. This Set also comes with a stand/case for the brushes, which I don't personally use, but some people people might find it useful.

The final brush in my personal collection is the Lash-Brow Groomer.(£7.99 From Boots) For years I've had those plastic lash combs, but now I have one with metal teeth I'd never go back! Finally I have a lash comb which effectively removes clumps from my lashes and leaves them looking nice and defined, rather than just poking them in different directions! The Brow side of the brush is great too for putting crazy brows in shape.


Overall I LOVE the Real Techniques Range. All of the brushes are such good quality but at a very affordable price. Also the versatility of all the brushes is so good, so even if I don't use the brushes for what they are meant for I'll find another use for them.

If you have any questions, or you have tried out any of these brushes, or any others in the range, let me know how you've got on with them in the comments below!
Thanks,
  Cameron :)

No comments:

Post a Comment